You probably heard of a smart speaker or using one right now. It uses wireless connectivity like Wi-Fi or Bluetooth in order to get instruction from the user and complete an assigned task. Now the question is Who is leading the smart speaker market? Amazon released “Amazon Echo” way back in November 2014. After exactly 2 years, Google released their first smart speaker “Google Home”. And now Apple has decided to beat them with their upcoming HomePod. However, we are comparing all these three. The indexes of comparison will be the price and functionality.
Let’s go through some specs first
Google Home is slightly Pen Pot looking trashcan. Here are the specifications of Google Home-
Built-in Google Assistant which now supports multiple users.
- Answers questions like your Assistant enabled Android Smartphone and schedule tasks like alarm, reminders and more.
- Able to stream music directly from YouTube, Google Play Music or even from your phone’s playlist.
- Stream videos to smart TV with chrome cast.
- HiFi quality sound from high-excursion speakers.
- Compatible with iOS and Android (iOS 8 or higher, Android 4.2 or higher).
- 3.8” L * 3.8” W * 5.62” H – high-quality plastic body.
Apple HomePod will be releasing in December 2017. Apple officially announced HomePod at WWDC this year. HomePod will be enquired with the following specs-
- Apple’s own produced A8 chip will be powering the HomePod.
- High‑excursion woofer
- Six‑microphone array and a Seven‑tweeter array
- Seamless mesh fabric body. Dimension – 6.8” * 5.6”
- Able to senses the room and tunes the music by itself.
- Siri enabled which means you can set alarms, get an answer, know about the weather or financial market and lot more.
Amazon released Echo nearly three years ago. Amazon Echo is powered by Alexa voice assistant that has taken the world by storm after release. Technical specs of Amazon Echo-
- Able to play music from Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more.
- Alexa calling and messaging service enabled. Anyone can command with an Echo, Echo Dot, or the Alexa App.
- 360º Omni-directional audio.
- Able to answers questions, reports traffic and weather and lot more.
- Controls lights, fans, switches, thermostats, garage doors, sprinklers, locks, and more with compatible devices.
- Dimension – 3.3” * 9.3”, weight- 2.35 lbs / 2.3 lbs.
- 7 microphones array.
- iOS & Android supported.
Which One is useful over other
In terms of specifications, Amazon Echo is way further than Google Home and Apple HomePod. It’s compatible with a wide range of devices, services, and home appliances that lack in other two. However, Echo has some limitations. Since Google is focusing a lot on Artificial intelligence, the overall software experience is much better with Google Assistant. On the other hand, Apple is on the same path and it’s expected widely that Apple is going push the software experience in any Smart Speaker way beyond. It’s not still sure if HomePod users will be able to cast directly on TV through HomePod but this feature is only available in Google Home.
According to CNET, Google Home provides realistic sound than Amazon Echo. However, the overall rating is 8.3 for both Echo and Home in CNET. Since Apple stands for premium, the HomePod will be retailing for an aggressive 349 dollar price tag whereas Google Home is currently retailing only for 99 dollars and Amazon Echo is for 179 dollars. Well, you may have premium quality in Apple but with limitations. For iPhone and Macs, people mostly pay for their build quality but will it be true in the case of Smart Speakers.
Undeniably in terms of software experience, Google is way more capable than Apple and Amazon. More specifically, smart voice assistants powering all these three speakers where Google Assistant performs way better than Siri or Alexa. As we are calling it a smart speaker we should emphasize more on software experience over the sound.
Considering the overall indexes, cost, and functionality do you agree with the following statements?
1. ‘In Apple HomePod you gonna get premium built quality and the beast sound as they claimed.’
2. ‘Google Home is currently providing the best software experience in any Smart Speaker at a highly affordable price tag.’
3. ‘Amazon Echo is compatible with a wide range of service and devices.’
Are you gonna grab a Google Home or Amazon Echo now or will for Apple HomePod?